Monday, October 6, 2008

Melon and Ricky

Dear Judith,


I decided that, since most of my time on this website will be talking about the kids in my class, I should tell you all about them now. Maybe at the end of the year, I can come back and compare who they are now with who they will become.




Melon

Melon was a late-comer to my class, and is one of the few American children. Her mother is some sort of doctor, and I still haven't figured out what her father does. The first day that he picked her up from school, he told me that they took a vacation to Saipan 3 years ago and they haven't left since.



I've struggled with Melon since the first day. Though she speaks mostly English (she's picked up a little Chinese from her nanny), I have a more difficult time trying to communicate with her than almost all of my Korean kids. I still haven't figured out why. I lose my patience with her more often than with any of the other kids. When asking to get up from the table, she says, "Please get up please," at least 5 times after I've already given her permission.



Today, however, felt like a breakthrough for me. Instead of asking for water by saying, "Water please," she said, "Miss Jaimie, may I have some water please?" I know that doesn't seem like enough difference to matter at all, but it made me smile. She was the first to finish her snack and I went and sat with her. We read a couple of books, and I noticed for the first time how her eyes light up when she is given personal attention. Most of the kids can't pay attention for one book, but she was engrossed in the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff. Melon is not like the other children, and I'm starting to appreciate the little things that make her an invaluable portion of my classroom.







Ricky


Ricky is a beautiful child. Pale skin is offset by his thick black hair. I loved him the first time I laid eyes on him. He only started in my class about a month ago. On his first day, I was worried about all the extra work he was going to be. He didn't seem to understand anything that we were saying. Though I'm ashamed to say it, I wished that he weren't in my class at all.

Ricky has a wonderful mother, beautiful and devoted. She stays with him during breakfast in the morning, and plays with him in the afternoons when she picks him up. I believe that his progress in the last month is due in a large part to her love and attentive care.


He cried this morning when she left, but within 2 minutes, he was joining in with worship. During stations, I held up the letter "R" and said, "Ricky, what letter?" "R!" he responded. "R is for what?" I questioned, really not expecting any sort of answer. "Ricky!" He giggled and continued with his play, while I sat there, astounded at the boy from whom I expected absolutely nothing.

Everyday, when Ricky's mom comes to take him home, as excited as he is, he never forgets to turn around and give me a hug. I didn't believe in his potential. I expected nothing from him but trouble but he has given me nothing but love.

1 comment:

Secret Gardener said...

They are beautiful! Human beings are such contradictory creatures. Often they are so hurtful and evil, ugly even, but I find that our human qualities are often the most drawing and effectual. Thank you for sharing your children with me.