Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Song

Dear Judith,

It's been awhile since I've written, and even longer since I've heard from you. Hope everything is going well for you. I miss talking to you.

I've had a few songs written for or about me in my life. Some of them are less than flattering (The Jaimie Nickell Song, performed by Donnie Keele) and some are so sickeningly sweet that I can hardly tolerate to listen to them (Sam wrote such a song for me). However, my favorite one was written today, on a whim, by a three year old.

I put Jonathan on time out for the third time in three days for hanging on the branch of the tree by the window. I've started making him complete tasks before he can get off time out. Yesterday, it was to run three laps around the playground. Today, I asked him to sing me a song.

We've been practicing songs for our Mother's Day Tea Party next week. One of the songs is to the tune of "Are you sleeping?" and the singer proclaims their love for their mommy.

Jonathan, without missing a beat, began to sing my song.

I love Miss Jaimie, I love Miss Jaimie
Yes I do, Yes I d
o
Miss Jaimie loves me too, Miss Jaimie loves me too
Yes she does, Yes she does.

I can't imagine anything better.

With a hug and a kiss, Jonathan was off to play, and I was left to wonder how I'll ever survive without these kids.




I simply don't think I can.

1 comment:

Sean said...

That is just the most precious thing ever.

Your student is a lot more talented than I am when it comes to making up songs. All my Elijah songs basically consist of the words "Little Feller" or "Mr. Big and Blocky."