Monday, November 3, 2008

My Busy Weekend

Dear Judith,

It's Monday evening and I'm relaxing while Rhonda makes me biscuits. I started a new tutoring job tonight but they didn't feed me. I made a chill playlist on my Itunes and I'm feeling good, despite the weekend I had.

Amy and I needed to change the theme in our classroom from bugs to food and giving thanks, so we decided to spend the night at the preschool on Saturday night and work while watching episodes of Lost.
However, on Sabbath afternoon, I found out that Twyla (the dental hygienist) had got 21 tickets to Managaha. Rhonda and Nicole both planned on going, and I really wanted to as well. I talked to Amy and we decided to see if we could finish up a lot of our classroom stuff on Saturday night and then go back on Sunday afternoon and finish. The plan was to leave for Managaha at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday.
We got to the preschool at 7:00 p.m. Saturday and got to work immediately. Since we had done little to no preparation during the week, there was lots of cutting and contact papering to do. Time went quickly and before I knew it, it was 11:15 p.m. We kept working, planning, organizing. My back was sore from bending over the miniature tables in my classroom. My hands ached from holding a pair of scissors for 4 hours. The hands on the clock kept turning, seeming to have a mind of their own. Before we knew it, it was 5:00 a.m. and we were both delirious. Deciding the ten hours was enough for one night, we left the preschool. I dropped Amy off at her house, warning her that if Megan had locked the deadbolt on my front door, I would be back. She gave me her extra key and I drove towards home.
Of course the deadbolt was locked and it's so rusty that my key doesn't work on it. I walked back to Subee, shoulders slumped, exhausted. Driving back to Amy's, I was angry at my roommates for locking me out, but after praying, I realized that there was no reason to be upset. I had a bed to sleep in and everything was worked out.
I crawled onto Amy's bed with her and was asleep in about 2 minutes. I awoke about an hour later and drove home. Rhonda and I got ready for Managaha and were out of the house by 8:15. We picked up Nicole then followed Twyla to the dock. Sean, Barbara, and Elijah came too, which was a real treat for me since I never see them. We laid out on the beach and I got a sunburn, though not a bad one.
We got home and Rhonda and I moved downstairs, then I went back to work for a little bit. French and Rhonda had to sing at the church for the evangelistic meetings so I waited in the car listening to episodes of a podcast that my friend, Donnie, started at Southern .
The three of us went and did laundry and tried to buy plane tickets for Christmas, but that was unsuccessful. The dryer didn't dry any of my clothes and we got home around 10:00 p.m. I hung up all of my wet clothes and put my damp sheets on my bed, which was so uncomfortable that it would have hindered my sleep if I hadn't been so exhausted.
I woke up this morning for a regular Monday, except that I tutored a different kid, which I think was a blessing from God because I probably wouldn't have had an adequate amount of patience to deal with Ricky.
It was a long weekend and it will be a long week, but still...there's no place I'd rather be. I love you and miss you Judith!

1 comment:

Secret Gardener said...

Hello my dear!

I suppose you are in the midst of another busy weekend now, as most Saipan weekends, and weekdays for that matter, are usually spent in frantic attempt to accomplish the impossible. I remember all too well the nights spent in my classroom planning and grading so that I could participate in the fun later on. I'll never regret my slaving though, because you receive so much love for all of your effort.

I hope that you have found time to rest since then. Don't push yourself too hard, but I'm glad to see that you aren't holding back either. Take it all in! All this beauty!