Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Holiday Season

Dear Judith,

I'm sorry that I haven't written in awhile. I wish I could say that it's because I've been busy, but this Christmas break has been the most chill, relaxing time that I've had on Saipan. I've been staying with my friend Angie because Rhonda is in America. I can't wait for her to get back, but it's good to have a break sometimes, to realize how blessed you are with what you have.
I did the Jingle Bell Fun Run in the beginning of December and that was a lot of fun. I even won a prize in the raffle! I wear my jingle bells as a badge of honor, that I ran the whole time.

Our staff Christmas party started out at the hospital, giving presents to some kids, which was a lot of fun. Then we met back up at the Maycock's for a white elephant gift exchange. I ended up with a Big Dipper gift certificate so I was happy with it!

My class Christmas party was adorable. The kids were so excited to give presents that they barely looked at the ones for them. None of our parents signed up to bring entrees, so lunch consisted of Winchell's donuts, Choco-pies, and Chips-Ahoy cookies, but somehow, the kids survived with no signs of diabetes yet. I've gone back to work a couple times over break because I miss my kids a lot.

I've been a little bit disgusted with Saipan over this break. I mean, it shouldn't be possible to get more tan over Christmas break or to go to a water park on December 21. Awful stuff, this weather.
Angie and I have been to Oleai at least 4 or 5 times since break started, for their dollar tacos. We went on her birthday and in lieu of cake or ice cream, they gave her a scoop of mashed potatoes with a candle stuck in the top.
Amy's parents have been here, and it's nice to see Dean Foote, who was one of my bosses last year at WWU. We had dinner with them on Christmas Eve and it was delicious, which is no surprise. I awoke on Christmas morning to Amy, shoving a stocking in my face, filled with fruit snacks, yahtzee, and chocopies. Angie and I went to the dental hygienist's house in the afternoon and watched a movie, then headed back home.

Most of my days have been spent in the apartment, sleeping, reading, and watching movies. I would not recomment Love in the Time of Cholera, but My Sister's Keeper (This month's book club book) and The Case for Christ were both good.


The other night, Angie, Megan (office assistant), Joeie, and I had a makeup and hair party. It was a lot of fun, and Angie did my hair really cute. Yesterday, we dyed Megan's hair and did each other's make up again, so as to enter into 2009 in an attractive way.

Last night, we had a fondue party with Amy and her parents, watched a movie, and then drove to Tapochau with Michi and Kei to watch the fireworks. It was so foggy that you could barely see anything, but the company was a great blessing and I can't imagine a better way to start the year.



We're going to Managaha tomorrow with the Footes, and camping until Sunday morning. I'm excited to enjoy the great snorkeling and hopefully work on my tan.

Thank you for your last post. It gave me some insight into how you're feeling.

I miss you Judith, and I'm totally bummed that you're not coming back to camp. Happy 2009 and I love you so much













3 comments:

Sean said...

Hey James.

You know what?

I really do miss you.

And Saipan.

I'm glad you guys are having fun. I enjoyed reading the updates. Take care and see ya next week!

Unknown said...

Chill is so necessary and I'm so glad you were able to have a bit of time to gear up for the latter half.

Keep enjoying life, as you are, in the simplest and dearest ways. I love you, Lady. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

And "For The Beauty" is me, just so you know. It's actually the name of the business Andrea and I are starting together in which sew church felts onto various forms of apparel.