Friday, March 6, 2009

My First Love

Dear Judith,


I've never been in love before, not truly. Sure, I've dated, and then, I believed that I was experiencing that emotion, but when it was all said and done, I was never heartbroken, never too upset to see things ending.


I came to Saipan, expecting no big changes, nothing groundbreaking, nothing profound. But then, I fell in love, not only with this place, but with myself. Slowly, I became more able to love others and to give more of myself. The love that I now felt could easily be transferred to those around me.


I'm afraid to leave this island, to fall out of love with me, to stop being this person that I've become, to tear down all that I've built over the last 7 months. I can be introspective now and not leave feeling depressed. I see the world through different eyes, and I don't want to fall back into the mold, the shell of who I was before I came here.



2 comments:

Prayer Man said...

Jaimie,
Saipan will always be a part of you. You are astute to recognize that the rest of the world will try to tear you apart and remake who you are, but what you have learned has become such a part of your very core that through what ever storms you may travel, you will always have your experiences to reinforce your faith and love. A long sentance, but basically it says that I love you and believe that God will continue to be there to keep you strong.
Papa-Daddy

Sean said...

James,

You are my hero. :hug: