Thursday, March 5, 2009

Visitors

Dear Judith,


While reading a book, you encounter the eerie feeling of being watched. You try to regain your focus in the story, but there's little hope of that. You glance around and nervously smile, trying to shake the suddenly uncomfortable atmosphere.


Out of the corner of your eye, you see him. Dark and hairy, he stares up at you for a few seconds before hurriedly scurrying away.


If you live in Saipan, then you should be quite familiar with this sensation. Cockroaches seem to love my house, especially the kitchen. I remember one particular time at the beginning of the year when we found a few cockroaches (or rather, they found us) and I went to bed in a tizzy, determined to leave this tiny dot of land.


Or there was the time a few weeks ago, when five or six of them got in the house on Rhonda's package that was left in Subee for a few hours. One of them crawled down her shirt, and the screams echoed in my ears for about 5 minutes. During the next half an hour, we killed the rest of them.


We used to be snobs and only use cockroach spray, but shoes are so much more effective. However, I wish that I didn't know the color of cockroach guts (black).


Sure, I live in a completely infested house, but I wouldn't trade it for the nicest mansion in America. I truly love my life here.



I'm very proud of my kills!

1 comment:

Prayer Man said...

It is so cool to know exactly what you are talking about - I was visualizing exactly where the cockroaches were in your kitchen when you killed them!

Thank you for allowing me to share that special part of your life that is Saipan.

Daddy